bike maintenance - breakdowns and tools
During a long trip things wear out.
That’s an abrasive environment with dust, sand etc, huge distances, sometimes high temperature. Not to mention the bumpy old road.
Things also break.
To have a reasonable level of self reliance what do you need to take? Oh, and it helps if you know how to use them, ie, replace a spoke, add a chain link, etc. You should also know how to adjust the derailleurs as well.
- bike pump, with volume and high pressure settings
- 2 x spare thornproof tubes
- 2 x puncture repair kits
- a spare foldable tyre, if existing ones are wearing
- 100mm adjustable spanner (for small bolts)
- 250mm adjustable spanner (for cassette lock ring removal)
- Allen keys
- Leatherman multi tool (with pliers)
- a second chain (swap over every 2000km)
- dry lube, (water based wax is good)
- chain breaker
- 6 x Shimano chain pins and/or
- 2 or more x SRAM chain Quicklinks
- a few spare stainless steel spokes of each length
- chain whip
- cassette lock ring removal tool
- spare gear and brake cables
- stainless steel hose clamps (assorted sizes)
- cable ties (a bundle)
- roll of gaffer tape
- spare nuts and bolts
- small rubber sheet (car or bike tyre) for tyre boot